This article was translated using AI technologies from our Spanish edition HTML1. This process may cause errors.
Opinions expressed by Entrepreneur contributors are their own.
Whether you are already seasoned in the world of entrepreneurship or you just want to start in it, the question that inevitably comes up is “Where to do business? “
Warner Bros. Entertainment
The most popular options are gastronomic, alcoholic, and web-based projects. Likewise, the creation of investment funds and agencies stand out as viable alternatives to capital generation.
However, few people know – at least not in Mexico – that horror films are an infallible business.
It is proven that films of this genre are capable of generating up to 100 times their production cost , but instead of analyzing their business model, the common people prefer to vilify them a priori just for being works of horror.
Great entrepreneurs have come out of this cinema and some of the most powerful men in Hollywood made capital thanks to the fact that they began to work their way in it.
What is the economic magic behind horror films? The relationship between the cost of production and profits made around the world.
Just look at the examples that we have listed below , and you will see that horror cinema is, ultimately, the area of opportunity for the entrepreneur who knows where to multiply his money.
9. The Conjuring 2 ( The Conjuring 2 , 2016)
- What is it about? The second installment of the film adaptations to the Warren marriage cases. Now, hunters of paranormal encounter a demonic entity that resembles a nun.
- How much did it cost? 40 million dollars.
- How much did it gross at the world box office? 320 million dollars.
8. Interview with the Vampire ( 1994)
What is it about? A film adaptation of Anne Rice’s novel The Vampire Chronicles. Brad Pitt plays a vampire and tells a reporter about his journey to become a blood-drinking entity. How much was it? $ 60 million.
When did it reach the top of the world box office? $ 223 million.
7. Scream: Scream before you die ( Scream , 1996)
- What is it about? A masked assassin stalks students who have a weakness for horror films, specifically the slasher.
- How much did it cost? $ 15 million.
- How much did it gross at the world box office? 173 million dollars.
6. Annabelle 2: Creation ( Annabelle : Creation , 2017)
- What is it about? Prequel to the original Annabelle installment, which in turn was a prequel to the first part of The Conjuring, which shows the events that gave birth to the terrifying flagship doll of the Universe The Conjuring .
- How much did it cost? $ 15 million.
- How much did it gross at the world box office? 306 million dollars.
5. Run away! ( Get Out , 2017)
- What is it about? Oscar-winning film for Best Original Screenplay, in which a black man visits his girlfriend’s parents’ home, only to find a terrible secret that he probably won’t make it out alive to tell.
- How much did it cost? 4.5 million dollars.
- How much did it gross at the world box office? 255 million dollars.
4. The Blair Witch Project ( The Blair Witch Project , 1999)
- What is it about? Film which brought back the found video format. This hand-held footage (filmed as if they were actual events) focuses on one third of students who enter the forest to solve the Blair Witch mystery.
- How much did it cost? 60 thousand dollars.
- How much did it gross at the world box office? $ 248 million.
3. The nun ( The Nun , 2018)
- What is it about? The first part of The Conjuring in chronological order, where the origins and demon-like antagonist of The Conjuring 2 is shown.
- How much did it cost? $ 22 million
- How much did it gross at the world box office? $ 363 million
2. Paranormal Activity (2007)
- What is it about? Film that, in the second part, revived the fever for the found footage format. It was based on a story about a couple who set up cameras to record their home’s activity after discovering that it is being inhabited by supernatural beings.
- How much did it cost? 15 thousand dollars
- How much did it gross at the world box office? $ 193 million
1. ESO ( IT , 2017)
- What is it about? The film adaptation of Stephen King’s novel revolves around a malevolent, millennial entity that takes on the disguise of a clown in order to stalk and devour children from a county.
- How much did it cost? 35 million dollars.
- How much did it gross at the world box office? 700 million dollars.